Thursday, October 3, 2019

12A Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

Pick a segment:

  • The segment that I have chosen is college students at the University of Florida. I chose students with all types of fashion senses.

Interview Information:

The three people that I interviewed were friends.

  • The first interviewee’s need becomes more salient when they go to formal events. During the day getting styled is not that bad for them. They usually try to pick something simple every day to reduce the amount of time it takes to get dressed. However, they did emphasize that their need was for formal events. For their extracurricular activities, they have to dress accordingly for interviews, meetings, and special events. Usually, this person wears simple dresses but wants to mix it up. She has suits, skirts, and nice blouses to wear, but doesn’t know the best way to pair them. 
  • The second interviewee found their need in the morning. She likes getting really up dressed before going out the day. However, she has to wake up an hour early just to figure out what she wants to wear. She says her style is sophisticated/trendy so she needs help being up to date with what is hot. Even though she has many clothes, she struggles to pair something nice together because of the numerous options she can pick from.
  • In the last interview, the interviewee’s need was most salient when getting dressed in general. They have a limited amount of clothes to work with, so they want to avoid repeating outfits. They need help with coming up with new combinations from the limited amount of clothing they have. 
  • To satisfy their needs, the first individual uses professional styling websites. The second individual decides to go on social media to get inspiration from how others dress. The last individual will ask a friend that is near on how the outfit they picked looks and if it looks different. 


What I Learned & Conclusion:

  • Based on the interviews, I have learned that this need is only for individuals who know they have a problem. From these individuals, I noticed that the need doesn’t occur at the same time for everybody. Some people just have trouble getting dressed for special events, in general, or just to match a certain style. Even though they all had troubles, they all came up with temporary fixes to this solution. They are not satisfied with these fixes and are looking forward to using an affordable product like mine. This had led me to conclude that I should continue with the questions I have designed for the app to make the style suggestions more tailored to the individual. I also think about integrating current trending looks to help give consumers inspiration and better suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. Good afternoon Rachel, I hope all is well and that you enjoyed your homecoming weekend as much as I did. I believe there is a huge market for your idea, especially for students at the University of Florida. There does seem to be a lack in style and fashion at the university and in Gainesville itself, as many of the city’s population dresses similar to one another and also very conservatively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! I agree that this can be a big struggle. In fact, right before I wrote this post I was trying to think about what I should wear tomorrow. I am not sure if an app would be the best way to solve this issue. Although, I think this app could be very useful for an online retail store so people can see stuff before they order it. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel, I find it interesting how this need varies from person to person and can arise at any time of the day. I also think that it’s a good sign that your interviewees aren’t satisfied with their current solution to the problem. This shows that there’s space in the market for your product. I think this product would do very well in locations where streetwear is part of the culture, like big cities.

    ReplyDelete